Always colourful and vibrant, India's musical diversity is breathtaking. From the glitz and glamour of Bollywood to the transcending beauty of Ravi Shankar's sitar, explore the unique sounds of the sub continent. Artists include: Asha Bhosle, Ravi Shankhar, Zoe And Idris Rahman, Aruna Sairam, Seeta Doraiswamy, T.H. Subashchandran, Vishwa Mohan Bhatt & Musicians Of Rajasthan, Wadali Brothers, Sohan Nath 'Sapera', Shivkumar Sharma And Zakir Hussain, L. Subramaniam, Hemant Kumar And Lata Mangeshkar. Bonus CD by Debashish Bhattacharya: Live In Calcutta.
There's too much Indian music to represent on one album, but the rough guide does a good job. There are some suprises here, even for those familiar to Indian music - brass band, saxophone and guitar reworked into classical music, a "raga on drums," and a modern-sounding Baul folk song. An excellent and compelling duet on sarangi and sitar is the album's centerpiece. Recommended, but not if you don't already love traditional Indian music.
Ravi Shankarr, Ali Akbar Khan, Bismillah Khan, Hariprasad Chaurasia, Ram Narayan, Alla Rakha, Ustad Vilayat Khan and other masters are all absent. But it seems to focus on younger artists, and those keeping the tradition alive. It even gives a reasonable introduction to Indian Bolywood film music style to someone like me who is new to it. So I recommend it, but it's limited, because Indian music is so vast, and varied.
01. ASHA BHOSLE: Katra Katra
02. ZOE AND IDRIS RAHMAN: O, River (O Nodi Re)
03. ARUNA SAIRAM: Saravanabhava
04. SEETA DORAISWAMY: Vatapi Ganapatim
05. RAVI SHANKAR: Megh
06. T.H. SUBASHCHANDRAN: Moorsing Solo
07. VISHWA MOHAN BHATT & MUSICIANS OF RAJASTHAN: Helo Mharo Suno
08. WADALI BROTHERS: Bulleya Ki Jaana Main Kaun
09. SOHAN NATH 'SAPERA': Phagun ka Lehra
10. SHIVKUMAR SHARMA AND ZAKIR HUSSAIN: Mishra Tilang In Keharwa Tala
11. L. SUBRAMANIAM: Illalo Pranatarthi
12. HEMANT KUMAR AND LATA MANGESHKAR: Man Dole Mera Tan Dole
1. Raga Maru Bihag Aalaap
2. Mahu Bihag Jod-Jhala
3. Maru Bihag Gat In Madhyala Rupak Tala
4. Maru Bihag Gat And Jhala In Drut Tintala
5. Raga Khamaj Aalaap
6. Anandam In Anandi (Raga: Mishra Shivaranjani)